With so many middle grade novels out there, how do you decide what to read next? If you’re looking for some great new MG to read, here are a few easy ways to find them:
- Browse our unique book lists! You can search for topics like humorous, fantasy, books for reluctant readers, multicultural, action and adventure, books for strong readers, contemporary, sports, historical fiction, etc. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, let us know and we’ll do our best to create a new book list for you.
- Check out our monthly new release posts.
- You could find some interesting books by browsing our author interviews.
- To read book reviews (either by children or adults) and to find more middle-grade focused sites, check out What Should I Read Next?
- Ask your local librarian! If you mention the kind of book you’re looking for, I’m sure he or she will point you in the right direction.
- Go to a library or bookstore and browse! See which covers and titles catch your attention. Choose a bunch that interest you, then sit down and read the first few pages. Chances are, you’ll find more than one great book to add to your must-read list.
- Check out award winning middle grade novels! The Newbery Award is usually a middle grade novel, but this year it was awarded to a wonderful picture book. You can check out the recent Newbery Award Honors, plus past winners and honors. There are tons of different awards out there. Some are selected by peers, like the 2015 Crystal Kite winning book Just a Drop of Water by Kerry O’Malley Cerra.
- For anyone interested in writing or illustrating children’s books, the SCBWI Blueboard is an amazing resource! There’s an entire section for discussing the craft of middle grade novels and here’s a thread from 2015 asking for the 10 best middle grade novels.
I’d love to know how you select which middle grade novels to read.
Happy reading everyone!
Mindy Alyse Weiss writes humorous middle grade novels with heart and quirky picture books. She’s constantly inspired by her two daughters, an adventurous Bullmasador adopted from The Humane Society, and an adorable Beagle/Pointer mix who was rescued from the Everglades. Visit Mindy’s Twitter, Facebook, or blog to read more about her writing life, conference experiences, and writing tips.